Revamping your home decor doesn’t always have to be a bank-breaking project. Here are 10 ways to give your home a fresh look, without breaking a sweat – or your wallet.
1. Pull a room together by choosing two contrast colors – black and white, say, or white and one bright color – and use them as a repeating theme throughout, such as a row of yellow and white pillows on a sofa, or robin’s egg blue walls and all-white furnishings.
2. A simple but effective tip: Too much of a good thing is too much. Try taking all your home decor accessories and putting them in a box, then putting them back one by one where they’ll have the most impact.
3. Small details make all the difference: Beautiful coasters, interesting desk frames, a small but exquisite crystal vase filled with fresh flowers.
4. Update lampshades with new ones in more contemporary shapes or simply fresh white shades.
5. Update your window dressings. IKEA and other home stores have reams of readymade draperies you can hem to the right size (or leave to puddle on the floor), or you can make your own from sheets or lengths of designer outlet fabric. Hang from an attractive new curtain rod, also available in stock sizes.
6. Take down all your paintings and other art and move them around to different walls or different rooms. It’ll be like seeing them for the first time.
7. Peruse Craigslist regularly for finds. It’s amazing what shows up at a bargain or even free – but like any good flea market shopper, be sure to check regularly, as good things go fast.
8. Spruce up your entrance by painting your front door a cheerful color. Pair it with a new lighting fixture, mailbox and house numbers – all available at the box store.
9. Inexpensive frame mouldings from the box store can transform a plain wall or hallway into an instant paneled look. Paint the mouldings in a contrasting shade or white.
10. Some paint stores sell mixed paint for much less than custom-mixed paint because the color was off or it was returned to the store. Great if you’re willing to experiment on the color.